Tuesday, July 17, 2012

English Paper Piecing vs Paper Piecing

Well....

A picture is worth a thousand words so here it is....


Top: English Paper Piecing Bottom: Machine Paper Piecing
It's really no constest which way was easier for me.  I think that it will take me a lot more practice to master English Paper Piecing and since Rachel, the instructor said something about paper piecing being quicker, I opted for that route.  The only problem about machine paper piecing is I had never attempted it before.  Well, really no better time to learn so I headed over to one of my favorite ways to learn something new, You Tube!  I love modern technology. Nothing could be more convenient than sitting in your pajamas and learning from other women who have way more experience than you.  I love that people are willing to take the time to help others learn from their own experiences.  I found a video  from Vanessa Wilson (blog: Crafty Gemini) on youtube that explained paper piecing in really simple terms.  It didn't take me much time at all to try piecing.  Of course, there were some mistakes that quickly helped me learn!  After I made a couple mistakes, I decided to follow along with her while she was demenstrating the procedure.  Here's a picture of my first tries:





As you can see, I didn't quite follow her instructions at first.  In the top square,  I trimmed off the bottom left triangle.  In the bottom square, I didn't have enough fabric in the bottom right square.  She recommends to use plenty big enough fabric when learning.  Well, I'm trying to live frugelly!  It doesn't pay when doing this.  Maybe once I have more (much more!) experience I can try to be frugal with my fabric.  Anyways, I am thrilled to have tried a new sewing technique.  I am very happy with how my squares turned out:

The real lesson here is that there are more than one way of doing things.  Since I didn't think my English Paper Piecing (EPP) was good enough, I was able to still make my blocks  using a different technique.  Don't be afraid, just jump in :)  Sow sew sow Kim:)








No comments:

Post a Comment