Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hexagon Tree Project

I finished another project from the Handstitched: Camp Pearl online sewing class.

This was a project that introduced English Paper Piecing.  I'm sure you remember my last post where I was defeated by this.  NOT ANY MORE!!!!  This is a great example why you should try more than once.  This project was a great introduction to this technique.  I should have tried it first and maybe I would have been more successful with my earlier blocks.  Oh well, live and learn!  What I think made this a success was the fact that the paper was stiffer.  So it was easier to wrap the fabric around the foundation.  Second, all the pieces lined up perfectly.  And third, I only had to  join 2 or 3 EPPs together.  Great project to learn EPP.

Here's the end result.....



Here are some pictures of the process:

Have all supplies and material cut.  Usually I do this on the fly!  But I
totally think this way is much better :) 


First step in EPP: wrap fabric around foundation and stitch to hold in place.  Second step is to attached them together.


Successful EPP!!!  



And you will be making a lot of them!  




Next is to place them on my tote bag.  I embroider a tree truck and these are my leaves!
I played around a bit on how I want to attached them: running stitch or blanket stitch.
The running stitch won.  The tree is made with the back stitch.



Really starting to look like a cute tree.


and after a bit of more sewing, you have the finished product...

Ta Da~  (Notice that I used fabric I already had on hand so I saved money
on this project....makes my husband very happy :))


I feel good about this.  I love the end result.  I would like to make more tote bags but adjust the size of them.  Also, I would like to find a quicker way to make the bag.  Of course I was learning so this took way longer than it normally would.  I love the fact that I can do the EPP and tree embroidery ahead of time.  Plus, I love the fact that the first half of this project is portable, I can do it anywhere.  No machine required! I think these might sell well at a craft fair.  What do you think? 

                                                                  Sew long for now!  Kim 

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on the EPP! Loving the little hexagon tree - that is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job!!! I love your bag and how smart of you to use from the stash!

    ReplyDelete